Forum Home > Session 2 Assignment: Materia Medica > Lauren

Lauren

Garlic

By: Lauren

Home Herbalist Course

Assignment #2

Name: Garlic (allium sativum)

Part used: bulb

Description: perennial plant of the lily family Liliaceae. Leaves are long, flat, and narrow. The bulb consists of numerous bulblets (cloves) grouped together between membranous scales and enclosed in a whitish skin. Flowers are placed at the end of a stalk growing direct from the bulb, are white/green in color, and grouped in a globular head with an enclosing kind of leaf or spathe among which are small bulbils.

Uses: boosts/stimulates the immune system, improves circulation, prevents/fights cancer, lowers cholesterol levels, reduces blood pressure, prevents hardening of arteries

Forms available: fresh/dried cloves, capsules, tablets, tinctures, aged extracts

Dosage: adult- 2-4 grams of fresh, minced garlic (one clove equals about 1 gram), 600mg-1200mg of aged extract in divided doses, 200mg of freeze-dried tablets standardized to 1.3% allin or 0.6% allicin (2 tablets 3x a day)

Caution: may interact with anticoagulant drugs, rare cases of allergic reactions, may cause heartburn and/or flatulence

Personal experience: I take garlic whenever I feel a cold coming on and find that it will basically eliminate a sore throat, if not the cold itself. In the past I have minced garlic up and taken it with raw honey to help with the taste. Now I just mince it and swallow in water or sprinkle it on my food.

Sources: The Herbal Drugstore- Steven Foster and Linda B. White

Be Your Own Doctor- Rachel Weaver

Nutritional Healing- Phyllis A. and James F. Blach

Description- botanical-online.com

botanical.com

Dosage- University of Maryland Medical Center

September 23, 2014 at 6:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Amber Kaiser
Site Owner

Great job on your assignment!  I like how you used several references! 

September 25, 2014 at 1:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.